TenTec

[TenTec] Ten-tec noise and RX questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-tec noise and RX questions
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:17:04 -0400
Hi All,

1.) How clean is the transmitter of the Omni? Is it exceptionally
clean, or about the same as most "modern" rigs? -x dBc at x kHz
will work if  anyone can help.

2.) How good is the receiver for narrow spaced CW work when the
level difference between desired signals and undesired signals is
about 80 dB? Let's say I get the best filters I can, how close can I
expect to work to a clean transmitter before I get into problems?

3.) How much do the best filters "ring" on sharp noise pulses, like
normal tropical noise that propagates in on 160 meters? A narrow
filter won't do me a lick of good if I can't dig out a weak signal
(maybe zero dB or less S/N ratio) when using the narrow filter, and
some filters are unuseable when digging in the noise.

I prefer a maximum of 300 Hz or so BW, since people often get
that close.

4.) Is it possible to transmit CW through a narrow CW filter, while
making the actual keying shape as I like while letting the filter set
the bandwidth limits of the signal, or does system design (transmit
oscillator offset, etc) make this mod impossible? (I understand the
filter will "soften" the envelope waveshape, but I have a special
reason for wanting to do this.)

Thanks for your time. I'd really appreciate any help.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com