TenTec

[TenTec] Scout VS. DX-77

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout VS. DX-77
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

You have to understand the story behing the review of
the Delta II that was published in QST. The author of
that article had already accepted a job position with
Kenwood USA when the article was writte. What better
opportunity to prove loyalty to your new employer than
to eliminate some competition before starting a new
job with the competition. I owned a Delta II and it
was and still is a nice performing radio. General
coverage was an added plus. The problem with the
computer controlled rigs like the Pegasus and RX-320
is the fact that you tie up a computer just to tune a
radio. I think Ten Tec needs a general coverage
receiver like the Delta II back in the lineup. I own a
scout and am putting it mobile this weekend on 10
meters and I like the scout very much. The fact that
it has few controls is a plus.  Just try driving and
adjusting the microscopic controls and reading
mult-layer menus of an FT-100 or IC-706 and you may be
surprised that the tractor trailer that was way ahead
of you is now in the passenger compartment. So don't
believe everything you read in QST articles.

--- jreber@es.com wrote:

> You raise a great point, Walter. In spite of the
> bashing the Delta II/
> Argonaut II took from QST, those rigs filled a niche
> Ten Tec has not since
> filled. It's too bad they didn't make a few
> improvements on their function,
> while continuing with the packaging and front panel
> style of those rigs.
> I suppose it's hard for a smaller company like Ten
> Tec to compete with the
> manufacturing abilities of a company like Kenwood-
> that is why we're seeing

=====
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH
cshyde@yahoo.com
Eagles May Soar, But Weasles Never Get Sucked Into Jet Engines!

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.