TenTec

[TenTec] Omni VI Main Tuning Knob

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Main Tuning Knob
From: ashworth@hevanet.com (K7FL)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 18:58:14 -0800
I received my Omni VI from the factory after the infamous "Plus" upgrade
this week (#379 for those keeping count). The upgrade is fantastic, but
unfortunately (and certainly unrelated) the VFO knob binds. Too bad ... it
was perfect before I returned the radio so I suspect something went amuck
during shipping or ???

I have used the adjustment process outlined in the manual ... which calls
for holding the metal skirt while rotating the knob CCW (anti-clockwise for
those fine folks across the pond). However, I can't rotate the two
independently, at least not with hand torque. Any ideas????

Another curious thing ...  if the VFO knob is stationary for 5-10 minutes,
and then I rotate the knob to another frequency, there's like a gummy sticky
resistance that seems to break loose after 45 to 90 degrees of knob
rotation. Could this be a lubricant issue? Again, I had not noticed this
previously, but as the radio was in repair during the visit, TenTec may have
done some well meaning preventative maintenance for me!

Ideas on either of these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis, K7FL
ashworth@hevanet.com