TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:06:32 -0500
See comments below:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:06:46 +0000 "Eric SENSI" <on6cv@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION
> ======================
>
> Hello everybody,
>
>  . . . yada, yada, yada . . .
>
> So let's go :
>
> 1. Is there any quick memory bank channels to store frequencies
> during HF
> operations ? I suppose I have to use the 4 band stacking registers
> instead,
> am I right ?

4 Bandstacking registers per band plus 100 memories

> 2. Is there any channel step size function for example when
> listening to
> broadcast stations which have a 9KHz channel step spacing ?

Nope - just a set of tuning step sizes for the encoder.  You can set to 1
KHz steps, and this makes for an easy spin from one AM station to the
next.

> 3. Is there any scanning function on the ORION ? No information
> about VFO or
> memory scan function into the ORION manual.

Apparently not - no hits on "scan" anywhere in the manual.  You do
realize you can download the manual and read through it, right?  It's on
the TT web site.

> 4. During transverter operation, is there any change into the
> frequency
> display like 50MHz, 144MHz, etc ?

Nope - at least not yet.

> 5. Is there any "beep" when a key is pressed on the front panel ? Is
> the
> volume adjustable ?

No beeps - I'm glad - I always find that annoying, esp when they send CW
with it!

> 6. For FSK/RTTY operation - Are the shift and polarity adjustable ?
> The
> ORION user manual is talking
> about the tone only (high/low).

In FSK, the polarity can be switched, but the tones are set for the
standard 170 Hz shift.  Works great, by the way.

> 7. Is there any CTCSS tone selection to access repeaters ? No info
> into the
> ORION manual for FM
> repeater operation !

No CTCSS.

> 8. About the internal antenna tuner. Why is it only active on the
> ANT1
> connection ? I suppose it is
> "by design" ?

Looks like it.  THe 2nd output would require either a 2nd tuner, or more
switching to move it back and forth.  Since it could only be tuned to one
at any individual time, I guess they elected to just make it available on
Ant 1.

> 9. Tentec do not provide the LDG internal autotuner for the TT565 as
> an
> option ! At least, at this time. Information from the UK Tentec
> dealer.

I don't know if the tuner is an LDG OEM job, or a TT design.  It is
pretty good, albeit a bit noise as it's searching for a match.  This is
my first all-relay tuner.

> 10. Optional 310 fan. Is this fan thermostatically controled once
> you
> connect it to the +13.8VDC cinch connector at the back ? Does it
> runs all
> the time or not ?

Runs all the time.  Mine is very quiet- my PC's fans are much louder.

> That's all... I know that some questions are "stupid" (e.g. #4, #5,
> #10) but
> it is just a rough comparison between the 2 rigs... these are not
> technical
> differences but functional differences !

There are no stupid questions!

> I want the best, but I do not want to loose some of the
> functionalities of
> my FT-1000MP !
>
> Thanks to all, and please excuse my english, this is not my main
> language,
> so i'm not always responsible for all the mistakes ! HI 3x ! :-)

You're doing fine - and your English looks better than a lot of what I
read on the reflector  :-).

        73,  Duane