TenTec

Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ Performance (long)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ Performance (long)
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy> wrote:

> The recent discussions concerning abilities of Orion
> in QRQ have sparked my
> interest and have prompted me to conduct a few
> tests.  For those that are
> interested I set out my findings here.
>
> Firstly, let me point out that except when
> contesting all my CW is sent
> using a paddle and almost never at speeds above 45
> wpm.  As a consequence I
> have found no problem with Orion in my daily use.
>
> The tests carried out here used CW generated by
> computer running Writelog.
> Weighting was set to a standard 50%.  In all cases,
> Orion with rise/fall set
> to 3mS transmitted into a dummy load. The signal
> generated was monitored on
> a Kenwood TS570, which was at hand and was recorded
> to a .wav file using
> WavePad.  The recordings of high speed transmissions
> were critically reviewed at a reduced speed.

Was WriteLog generating CW via the serial Port? Or was
a MK-1100 Multi-Keyer being used? The Multi-Keyer was
designed do alleviate various CW timming issues when
using trying to use a PC's serial port's RTS or DTR
line to key CW. The timming of those pins are not, and
cannot be guaranteed be very precise, RS232 ports are
not really being meant to be used as a precisely
timmed switch source. There could be numerous OS
introduced timming errors as well, all of them quite
variable depending on the OS and the hardware's
performance.

Duane
N9DG