TenTec

[TenTec] Pegasus Command Set [Was: Flex-Radio compared to Pegasus]

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Command Set [Was: Flex-Radio compared to Pegasus]
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:59:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Steve Baron - KB3MM <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com> wrote:
> Not sure what you mean by that.  Can you givw me an
> example?

Perhaps the best way to understand the RISC-like nature of
the Pegasus command set is to look at the Programmers
Reference Guide for the Pegasus and also the Programmers
Reference Guide for the Jupiter. Both are posted on the RF
Squared website at:

http://www.rfsquared.com/

The Jupiter supports both a Pegasus Emulation mode and a
Logging Mode. While in Pegasus emulation mode the front panel
is disabled, in logging mode it operates normally. An example
of a difference in the two command sets is that the Pegasus
requires that you build up the RX or TX frequency by setting
3 different "tuning factors", Coarse, fine, and BFO. The
Logging Mode of the Jupiter is a more straight forward by
sending the radio a somewhat simpler 4-byte binary number
that represents the frequency you want. This method is more
like most other brand radios. It also puts more of the
control processing workload on the radio itself; the Pegasus
command sets moves as much of the control workload as
possible to the PC running the host program.

Not sure if that helps but should be something that you can
research further.

If you want to research it even further look at the size of
the Pegasus command set verses the command set of a radio
such as the TS-2000. The Pegasus command set is just a
fraction of the TS-2000's but yet it can be made to do just
about everything the TS-2000 can as far their HF commonality
is concerned.

Duane
N9DG