TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Centurion loading

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion loading
From: "Scott Harwood" <scotth@hsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:48:39 -0400
I have a Centurion and had the same problem tuning for ?max smoke? as suggested
in the manual.  One thing I was doing wrong was tuning with the transceiver in
AM mode.  Most transceivers operate reduced power on AM and won?t furnish
enough power to fully drive the Centurion and the LOAD control had little
effect.  Switching to CW cured the problem.  I then tuned up as suggested on an
earlier post (using a dummy load or antenna/tuner with 1:1 swr, use low power
drive and set amplifier TUNE and LOAD controls for max output, then increase
transceiver power to drive grid current into the red zone, use LOAD control to
cut back grid current, re-adjust TUNE for max output then increase drive and
repeat until max drive is used without too much grid current).

The amplifier now is tuned with TUNE and LOAD controls set at around 4, which
is around the numbers suggested in the manual for 3.9 MHz.  Also, the linearity
on my monitor scope looks excellent.

Hope this helps someone.

Scott K4VWK

From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>