TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion II Reviews?-Follow up

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Reviews?-Follow up
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:51:32 -0700
> Thanks to all of you who responded to my posting both on and
> off the reflector.  Keep those review and comments coming!

The great thing about the II is that the number of REAL issues, compared to
the kinds of thins that bugged us when the original Orion was shipped, are
neglibible.  Gary and company have done a great job.  True, something in the
2.028 release killed AM transmit, but for most users that's probably a
non-event, sadly, due to fundamentalist SSB-alamist religion-based
misguidance.  Many of you are going .."what's AM" or "why or those AM
Morther-Frikers bothering the frequency on 75M that my group purchased from
the FCC".    But I'm sure we'll see that fixed for those four or five of us
for to whom it's important to bug the folks who did purchase 75 and 20M
frequencies ... and it works fine in 2.025 anyway, almost ... ok, the MON
function doesn't work.  But that's a nit.

I did call the FCC about auctions of frequencies on 75M and 20M, and asked
how much it would cost to buy one for my club -- first amendment things and
all --- but did't get a positive response.  Don't know how the TTOPGGs
("Trailer Trash Over-Processed Grunge Groups") got theirs, but I guess I
don't have the right political connections. Or maybe I just wasn't a friend
of "W" before it made a difference .... Jorge, ol' buddy, if you're
listening, I have started "clearing brush" every weekend ...

Anyway, the II is just an overall terrific radio .... :-)

Grant/NQ5T