TenTec

[TenTec] Orion upgrade

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion upgrade
From: "Ron Spencer" <ronspencer@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:55:23 -0500
Did the firmware and hardware upgrade to original Orion.

Has anyone else noted that the NR seems to distort signals when set to
anything above 5?

On the hardware upgrade, the supplied directions from TenTec are very good
but I'll add a note or two.

When doing it have a penlight available to check pin alignment when the two
boards are reassembled together. Otherwise it will be difficult to see if
the pins are aligned and seated correctly.

When re-attaching  the front panel to the rig there is one coax jack that
has no mating coax cable. I didn't write the number of the jack down but I
recall it is labeled sweep sub receiver. Right next to the one for sweep,
main receiver.

It took me longer to disassemble and reassemble everything then it did to do
the mod. Cutting the traces is probably the wrong terminology. I used a
small exacto knife to "dig" out a hole in the very small traces. Verify with
a DVM. Takes a pretty small soldering iron tip to attach the jumper. Pre
tinning the jumper helped a LOT.

Time from the disconnecting of the first cable off the back of the radio to
re-installing it in its operating position took about an hour. Well worth
doing the mod. Sweep now works well, is fast and tunes almost real time.

73     Ron   N4XD