TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 1220 2 meter rig for sale &smoke

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1220 2 meter rig for sale &smoke
From: Randy Russe3ll <lord_russell53@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:13:05 -0800 (PST)
Ya, but is it damaging the computer?  I can understand
someone prefering one smell to another, which is just
sensory preference.  It's like saying , I can't stand
the color green on the old Heathkit rigs, or, I won't
have a radio with any blue paint on it in my shack,
drives me nuts, or I don't like the taste of
anchovies. But what damages radios over time is
corrosion.  Two things are need for corrosion to occur
(besides metal).
Oxygen and water.  This is why the worst thing you can
do is clean up a radio exposed to smoke. The wires and
metal parts have acquired an extremely fine
veneer(varnish)from the smoke. This keeps caustic
salts, moisture and oxygen from coming into contact
with the equipments metal.  A properly smoked piece of
equipment will last thousands of years.  One exposed
to the elements will be lucky to make it a hundred.
This is why rare art that survives has been varnished.
This is why we varnish Fine Paintings.  You show me a
Drake chassis that's pitted, and I'll show you a Ham
that didn't smoke enough to stop the corrosion!  I'm a
non smoker myself but I think the noise about smoking
and rigs is just so much PC junk science.  I'll gladly
take a overly marked down rig because someone has
smoked around it, and I'll put it in my non smoker's
shack. The smell doesn't bother me a bit.