TenTec

Re: [TenTec] My first TenTec Rig.. RIP

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My first TenTec Rig.. RIP
From: Dave Tipton <dave@lodave.org>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:50:49 -0700 (PDT)
Yup... Found a couple more switches and a VOIP router cooked too...  I have
suspicions that an on board NIC may be blown too, but have absolutely no way to
verify it at the moment.  We still haven't inventoried the rest of the house.
Since the breakers blew on the back half of the house, I suspect, we'll find
more stuff back there.

Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu> wrote:  W3DMT:

>It was not connected to an antenna at the time,
but it WAS connected to a computer, that was
attached to a network segment that came directly
off of my DSL router.

Yes, Phone line > DSL Modem > Router > Computer
> Jupiter. To be absolutely safe, disconnect:

1. All antennas (I do that outside).
2. All power connections (UNPLUG power strips,
not simply turn it off.
3. All phone lines (unplug from modem).

Even with surge suppressors on the power and phone
lines, a lightning strike will laugh on the way to
your equipment. I'll bet you are going to find
more damage as you follow the above chain.

73, Bill W4ZV