TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 6N2 observations

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 6N2 observations
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
Not sure where the notion that a 2 dB NF is sufficient for 2M
SSB/CW work comes from. I suspect though that it is a figure
that has persisted for years in ARRL Handbooks. I would argue
that a NF in the .6-.8 dB range is a more realistic minimum
to shoot for. I run a transverter that is factory spec'd at
.8 dB at the end of a coax run with a measured loss of .8 dB
and still find occasions where I could use a lower NF. If you
are running an antenna with a clean pattern, low loss
feedline, and have quiet radio horizons at VHF a 2 dB NF in
the RX is simply not low enough for 2M.

Duane
N9DG

--- "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>