TenTec

Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:15:41 +0300
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:13:32PM -0500, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> If one were to plan spares for a SDR unit, a spare sound card would be high
> on the list, of a known optimum type.

Very "sound" advice. Often manufacturers change the chipset on a card
without changing the model number. While I can't pinpoint specific
sound cards like that, I do have several with the same "chip" made at
different times by different manufacturers that work differently.

This isn't even with an SDR (I don't have one) this is just in a PC with
the manufacturers drivers. Using Linux, with it's own drivers is no
picknick either, some work, some don't, some partialy work.

I also have some WiFi "dongles" that work with Windows, MacOS and Linux.
They are revision "B" of the product. Revision "A" used a different
chipset and will only work with Windows and a hack to use the Windows
driver on Linux (X86 only). There now is a revision "C" floating around
with a different chipset. Besides plugging them into a computer, the
only way to tell is to look at them. The units are clearly marked, but
you have to open the box to see them.

I also have a TV card that works under Linux (I'm using it in a Linux based
PVR) Kernels from 2.4.17 to 2.6.14. After that the driver structure changed
and two of the three programs I use it with no longer work. They will be
fixed "real soon now". Unfortunately, the system it is in is dependent
upon too many other things to go back.

While I had suggested that the Orion be redesigned with X86 processors,
I did not mean that it should be split into a PC application and a front
end.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838