TenTec

Re: [TenTec] "will SDR be here tomorrow."

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "will SDR be here tomorrow."
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:31:28 +0300
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:18:53PM -0700, Duane - N9DG wrote:
> Did the current big 4 rise only because they were better able
> to implement solid state? Or did it have more to do with
> making radios that better matched the increasingly "appliance
> operator" mold of hamming.

The Japanese companies survived and even prospered because Japan had a
no-code HF license. I don't want to start a code/no code debate,
Japanese society is different enough to to make it moot.

The license limited operators to ten watts, which is reason behind those
neat 10 watt versions of "real" radios instead of souped up CBs. (e.g.
Kenwood TS-130v). They also were limited to commercial radios.

The Japanese don't keep equipment long, in fact it is now illegal to sell
any electronics over four years old except as an antique. Combined with
1.5 million polite, active hams, with large disposable incomes this has kept
the Japanese companies afloat.

The Japanese companies could afford to sell their rigs relatively cheaply
overseas (as in the U.S.) because they had such a large domestic market.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838