TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?
From: Lee A Crocker <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:44:56 -0700 (PDT)
No, I don't have special firmware and I think you are
a tad too critical.  OHH MY GOD WHERE"S MY MISSING 9
DB AT 50HZ SO I CAN SOUND LIKE I'M IN A CAVE WITH MY
HEAD STUCK IN A BUTTER BOX!!!

None of that makes a whit of difference to whether I
make contacts or not, nor does it reduce in the least
the amount of fun I have.  Imagine! An inaccurate
S-Meter in a consumer grade radio! Why I never heard
of such a thing!   (The only S-Meter I ever found to
be perfectly accurate is the one in my SDR, and it
reads out in dBm, plus the NR, notch filter, audio
spectrum including the parametric equalizer on both RX
and TX, speech processor, AM, and CW sidetone all
work, but I won't start that thread again, because we
all know the SDR doesn't do QSK!! at least not yet)

I had a friend who was into high end audio.  He had
about ten grand in his stuff.  He basically never
played anything through his system  Instead he put the
left channel to the Y input of a scope and the right
channel to the X input of a scope ran a sine wave into
an input and watched the circle all day long.  One of
his other features was he was in Mensa.  I never
understood those jokers either.

Buy the friggin Orion and have some radio fun, it's a
great radio, one of the absolute best radios in the
world.

vy 73   W9OY