TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Hercules II problem

To: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II problem
From: JohnCrux <jac.trademarks@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:27:01 +0100
Thanks very much for that.  If you find more detail on changing the internal
wiring arrangements, then it would be much appreciated. I'd like to attack
all possibilities, wiring and relays, when I pluck up courage to get the Herc
open again for inspection.

I now have a list of things that I might well have got wrong external to the
amp. Some seem unlikely, but they deserve investigation.
The latest check here into a dummy load shows around 200 watts on 10m before
the "overdrive" light comes on as the Herc trips out. But under the same
conditions I can get 300-400 watts on 12m before it trips.

The really odd feature is that this fault is not permanent; it can vanish for
a while, even for as much as a few days, although I change nothing at all
here except my clothes. Other times it might vanish for just a few
minutes/hours .....

So I am not much nearer, but it looks increasingly like I do need to open up
the Herc and poke around.
If only the covers could be temporarily popped off those relays !  If only I
could run the Herc outside the shack, which is far too small to be used as a
workshop !  I once hand carried it back to Sevierville, but since getting
retired, no-one is going to send me on a business trip to TN. Ah well.

Thanks everyone. Any further ideas and/or suggestions will be welcome.

73  John G3JAG