TenTec

Re: [TenTec] "Being a Contrarian . . ."

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "Being a Contrarian . . ."
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:26:55 -0700 (PDT)
These are very the reasons why I do not yet own Orion,
I will stay with a pair OMNI VI+ until or unless these
things are improved.

I knew about these issues from the Ten Tec reflector,
but for those that only get QST magazine they are good
things to know.

There is some room for improvement on a very, very
fine transceiver.

Re: [TenTec] "Being a Contrarian . . ."
from [K4IA] [Permanent Link][Original]

I thought the QST review was fairly negative.  A lot
of "damning by  slight praise."  The overall tone of
the review was negative with lots  of side remarks
about shortcomings:

"it does so at the expense of certain features ...
amateurs may well  have come to expect.

"hasn't addressed all the original Orion's
shortcomings"

"falls short of the color screen implementations now
commonplace on competitor's products"

long discussion of a software crash that was fixed
with 2.0b6

NR distortion - not as good as the original Orion
(gee, where have we heard that before?)

complaints about the multi-knob to make adjustments

"Unfortunately TT made no effort to improve the band
sweep and  metering"  "Sweep has little or no
practical value"

"No hint of an ALC function or measurement"

"Auto-notch ineffective under 230 hz"

But if you can make it to the end of the article
without writing off the Orion II, they do conclude
"the Orion II's performance will be a dream come true
for many discriminating radio amateurs."

I thought the RSGB article was a lot more positive.