TenTec

[TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:31:40 -0500

NQ5T:
 >You clearly don't recall the update stream when both of the Orions were
introduced.  OF COURSE the new one's developers have put out multiple
updates since early December.  There are apparently a lot of bugs to fix.

         I recall very well Grant.  I remember the frequent
crashes, the sound of discrete synthesizer steps, the IMD
problems with the 500 Hz filter, the awkward AGC Threshold
setup, the lack of PTT, etc.  The current state of the art
is already far beyond v1.372 in most areas, and it's only
been shipping for a month or so.  To put that in relative
terms you would need to compare it to the April 2003 Orion...
not a pretty comparison IMHO.

         When I bought my Orion, part of its promise was that
it would continue to be updated.  Sadly that effectively ended
 >3 years ago with the last official release (v1.372).  Sad but
true.  :-(  It seems you like to have the last word so have at
it.  I'm not wasting my time here any longer.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV