TenTec

[TenTec] ESD - Static Discharge revisited OMNI VII

To: Ten Tech Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ESD - Static Discharge revisited OMNI VII
From: Bill Mellema <mellema@qis.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:40:06 -0400
I now have a new OMNI VII which I really like ..however I noticed
again that walking across my carpeted office and touching the mike
connector caused the receiver to quit. If I recycle the power it is
fine again. I had this problem with another OMNI VII I owned and
never could get it straightened out. I am running a ASTRON 55 AMP
power supply with the chassis ground going back to the OMNIVII's
chassis ground (I did this after the ESD problem was first noticed).
I have since measured the resistance from the OMNI VII's chassis
ground and the mike connector and the 1/4 inch CW and Headphone
jacks. They are all above ground which I think is the problem. Heck
you can ground the radio but what does it do if the front panel jacks
aren't grounded?

If anyone has a remedy for this other than touching something to
discharge before using the OMNI VII I would appreciate hearing about
it. I ran an ICOM756PRO & IC756PROII which are also DSP radios and
never had this issue. I understand the OMNI VII is more computer than
radio but I feel it has to stand up to normal radio shack conditions
not to mention Field Day. It's a great rig but I have to come up with
a satisfactory solutions before this Winter when the ESD is much more severe.

73's

Bill N3WM

Bill Mellema
B&J Communications Inc.