TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Need advice about OVP for 262G

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need advice about OVP for 262G
From: "Hulett, Russell" <rhulett1@consolidated.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:22:50 -0500 (CDT)
Evidently several years ago, someone suggested installing a 1.5KE15A transient
suppression diode with a fuse at the PS output.  This seems like a simple
solution to me compared to SCRs, added circuits etc.  One question, since these
diodes will clamp, thus protecting the load ( my Triton IV ) why won't the 4A
slow blow on the transformer input do the job.

I'm thinking of building the zener and an in-line fuseholder into the cable
between the 262G and the 540.  That's to avoid modifying either the power
supply or the radio.  Wonder if anyone else has used that approach, and whether
I'm missing something crucial.

73, Curt KB5JO