TenTec

[TenTec] Heil Goldline Mic

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Heil Goldline Mic
From: JBeamer@PanAmSat.com (Beamer, Jay)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:36:27 -0400
Hello All,

You can be assured that if you buy a TT desk mic or the hand mic that you'll
have nice sounding audio (on SSB that is), as long as you don't over drive
the xcvr. Overdriving is a common problem.

I used a D104 with xtal element, amplified and non-amplified for
approximately the past 3 years until recently and never had a bad audio
report. If it's amplified, keep the control turned way down. If you have
trouble driving a TT xcvr with a D104, either your xcvr is broke, or you
need to replace the xtal element in that D104 you bought at a ham fest 20
yrs ago for 5 dollars.

Believe it or not, a Shure 444 works nicely on the V, VI, and Paragons, BUT,
it must be the dual impedance variety. Use the low impedance setting and
you'll be surprised. I just verified this with a station on the net a couple
weeks ago. The black 444 is dual impedance, and the grey model 450, same
color as regular 444, is also dual impedance.

Before using the D104 for about 3 years, I used the Heil HM10, dual element,
and used the ragchew element (cant remember the element #). Between the Heil
and the D104, the D104 is a bit smoother.

So there's some choices, and they're not expensive. Don't ask me what I'm
using at the moment on my V (no, not this vry moment). It's complicated.
Just keep in mind that the TT xcvrs are sensitive to level, meaning don't
overdrive the darn thing. Just remember, the more the ALC light comes on the
worse your audio will sound.

If you want to hear some of these combos, check into the net, or just
listen, if you're embarrassed to let anyone know you own a microphone.

Whew,

Jay/KM6VX
Torrance, Ca.