TenTec

Corsairs

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Corsairs
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 19:07:32 -0800
Hi Jim:

My opinion, after owning both for a time, is that if you are on
a budget, try to find a Corsair I.  The Corsair II receiver strip
is mostly identical, and the added features can be replicated
externally if desired.  I believe the keyer and the audio VBT
were the main differences, and the Corsair II is a much prettier
cabinet coloring.  Not a real big deal when digging out the weak
ones.  The only thing really "needed" on the Corsair I, maybe,
is to replace the stock 4 pole filter in the first IF with the
optional 8 pole filter.  Not a real problem when you consider
it is followed by another 8 pole filter anyway.  You get 16
poles rather than 12 with the option.  OK, I like that especially
for SSB.

I heartily recommend the Corsair I.  Skip the matching power
supply and the other stuff, and you can get by (but you may
have to wait to find one) for under $500 with a very good quality
receiver.

My humble opinion.

Clark

Clark Savage Turner, Graduate Student Researcher
Software Engineering Testing

OFFICE:                                         HOME:
University of California, Irvine
Department of Info. and Computer Science        1514 Verano Place
Irvine, CA. 92697-3425                          Irvine, CA. 92612
(714) 824 4043                                  (714) 856 2131

WA3JPG, QRP #3526, active on HF, 2 meters and 70 cm.
Admitted to practice law in NY.  (Inactive practice in CA. and MA.)

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html