TenTec

Re: [TenTec] S-meter and RF Gain

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] S-meter and RF Gain
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:06:41 -0800
I like it the way it is since setting the AGC shows you visually where the
threshold has been set, and as you point out Carl, that accuracy of the
reading is not changed by the RF gain setting for signals that are over the
threshold setting.  The minor problem I brought to Ten Tec's attention last
week was that with the preamp off the S-meter readings are over-generous by
15-22 dB when reading above S-9, and stingy by about 12 dB below S-9.  It
sounds like it should be easy to correct with a software update.

I also suggested that an automatic correction for the effect of the preamp
be applied to the S-meter reading when the preamp is on, which perhaps could
be menu selectable the way it is in the TS-870.

Ron
N6AHA