TenTec

[TenTec] RFI to Ten Tec power supply

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RFI to Ten Tec power supply
From: bohnovic@worldnet.att.net (John/K4WJ)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:48:54 -0400
At 01:51 PM 10/13/97 +0000, Webster D. Williams wrote:
>HELP! All my station is grounded (well, I think). I'm getting RFI into
>my Ten Tec power supply. People are commenting that my signal doesn't
>sound right, and when I mention that they're probably hearing an echo of
>my signal through my speaker, they tell me that's what it sounds like. I
>didn't realize how bad the problem was until I was working on a handie
>talkie last week, on 440, at 100 milliwatts in the room with the power
>supply. Every time I keyed up I could hear the speaker clicking! I even
>moved the power supply into a steel equipment rack two feet from my
>Corsair II in my shack, and it's now got a grounded layer of steel
>between it and my HF set. Has anyone else experienced this? What was
>your fix? I'm thinking about adding bypass caps and ferrite stuff, but
>don't really want to change Ten Tec's design. Perhaps a part in my power
>supply went bad? Thanks- Web Williams
>
>P.S. I can read schematics, and have good means to measure and check
>parts, so if you need to refer to checking part number "X" that's OK.

I have a very similar problem with my Ten Tec 544. Every time my packet
radio xmits I can hear the relays in my Ten Tec 544 operate. This does not
happen when the mode switch is in any of the CW positions. It only happens
when the mode switch is in the SB-N position.

73..
John/K4WJ in Pembroke Pines, FL

        K8PXG from 18 Jun 59 to 11 Feb 97
        K8WJ  from 12 Feb 97 to 07 Apr 97