TenTec

[TenTec] Omni VI Main Tuning Knob

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Main Tuning Knob
From: chestert@pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 00:56:17 -0500
I had the same problem when my Omni Six was returned from having the upgrade.
Use an allen wrench and remove the main tuning knob, and you will see what
creates the drag for the knob. You will probably have to 'play' with the
tension and/or placement of the 'feet' or the ends where the felt pads are
located. With the knob off of the radio, hold the outer skirt in one hand and
turn the knob with the other hand, while observing the action of the copper
piece; this gives you and idea of how it works. It's pretty simple, but
effective. You can play with the tension or 'springiness' until you get the
knob to a 'feel' that is suitable to you.

73

At 06:58 PM 11/8/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I received my Omni VI from the factory after the infamous "Plus" upgrade

>this week (#379 for those keeping count). The upgrade is fantastic, but

>unfortunately (and certainly unrelated) the VFO knob binds. Too bad ... it

>was perfect before I returned the radio so I suspect something went amuck

>during shipping or ???

>I have used the adjustment process outlined in the manual ... which calls

>for holding the metal skirt while rotating the knob CCW (anti-clockwise for

>those fine folks across the pond). However, I can't rotate the two

>independently, at least not with hand torque. Any ideas????

>Another curious thing ...  if the VFO knob is stationary for 5-10 minutes,

>and then I rotate the knob to another frequency, there's like a gummy sticky

>resistance that seems to break loose after 45 to 90 degrees of knob

>rotation. Could this be a lubricant issue? Again, I had not noticed this

>previously, but as the radio was in repair during the visit, TenTec may have

>done some well meaning preventative maintenance for me!

>Ideas on either of these issues would be appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Dennis, K7FL

>ashworth@hevanet.com

Chester Alderman