TenTec

[TenTec] 12V OPS C-21

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 12V OPS C-21
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 14:41:44 -0500
Alan:
The 12 V operation was accomplished by "back feeding" the 12 into the
"Auxiliary 12V jack" (phono jack).
This had to be done carefully, as you then had NO meter indication for
input power.  You also had no "overcurrent crowbar" to shut down the Power
supply.
I used to run the C-21 mobile this way, and at first I didn't know how much
power I was getting out until I put my Bird Thruline in the line.
I was getting 70 watts OUT!  OOPs....  Fortunately I hadn't had any long
transmissions up to that time.  From then on I limited it to 30/35 so I
wouldn't have to replace any zapped finals.

If you decide to do this, you should use an ammeter in the DC line...and
keep the current to around 5 amps or so.

At 09:56 AM 2/5/99 EST, you wrote:

>I noted a recent ad that stated the C-21 ran on either 12v or 120vac.I have
>scoured my manual and there is not information regarding 12v ops. Was there a
>later version that allowed for 12v ops? Is it simple to convert?   Alan
KB7MBI