TenTec

[TenTec] QRP Amplifiers

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRP Amplifiers
From: owen@piper.eeel.nist.gov (James C. Owen, III)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:25:19 -0500 (EST)
In message Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:56:55 -0400,
  "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@iglou.com>  writes:

> There has been some talk here about amplifiers for Scouts etc. I picked up
 a CB amplifier made by Palomar.  I jump from 3 to about 50 watts this way.

> Of course, there are no bandpass or low pass filters
>  In a mobile installation, I would expect the Q of the mobile
> antenna would reject harmonics but in the shack you may want to use a
> tuner or build a bandpass filter as described in the May issue of QST.
>
> These are available on up to 650 watts PEP. For more information, check
> www.coaxkid.com

Well Steve and others. I think that you're possible asking for trouble by
going this route and I'll tell you why.
The FCC's rules state that unless an amplifier was made before April 28,
1978 it must be type accepted.
This means any amplifier used in the amateur service except one homebrewed,
one of which the amateur may build one model per year MAX.
Since a CB amplifier is not legal and not type accepted, nor was it a
type accepted unit for another service that was modified for amateur service
it is not legal to use it on the ham bands.
Should a neighbor complain about interference and the FCC check your station
and find this amp you MAY be subject to a citation and fine and you would
almost surely be found to be the cause of the interference, by using non
approved equipment.
So my advice would be not to do it. There are many ways to be legal, one is
by homebrewing your own, and they may be cheaper in the long run. Anyway,
almost all of the CB amps put out a pretty dirty signal and the bands are
bad enough now without more garbage.
73 Jim K4CGY