TenTec

[TenTec] 555 Scout. User report.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 555 Scout. User report.
From: k5rov@worldnet.att.net (James Parsons)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 22:28:09 -0500
Paul Christensen wrote:

> > I still hope Ten Tec comes up with a midrange rig, because if anyone were
> >to judge a Ten Tec by the Scout alone, they would never sell an Omni.
>
> Interesting Chris.  I purchased my Scout in '93 and my Omni 6 in '94.  I
> purchased the Omni because I was so pleased with the performance of the
> Scout.
>
> In my opinion, the Scout is a transceiver that James Millen would have been
> proud of.  Look at the similarities of the PTO and band change mechanism
> between the Scout and Millen's  HRO series receivers.
>
> -Paul, W9AC
>
> --

Paul, I had three different Scouts. Although they had great receivers,
and were a delight to use, they drifted and jumped frequency badly. In
fact, above 30 WPM, they actually drifted or jumped right out of the
band pass of the other fellows receiver. I didn't believe it myself,
until I listened to it on my FT-1000. Yup, it actually went out of the
bandpass.

I remember James Millen well, both when with National, and as a Company.
I just don't think he would have been proud of that kind of performance!

73

Jim, K5ROV

--

James (Jim), Parsons, K5ROV USAF, Ret.