TenTec

[TenTec] ten-tec legend and reality

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ten-tec legend and reality
From: bahr521@earthlink.net (Lee Bahr)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 11:35:10 -0600
I've been reading all this with interest.  I can tell you from first hand
information, Kenwood can be a horror story too. I had a factory technician
actually hang up on me! I was not abusive.   How would you like to have two
radios approximately 5 years old or slightly newer and you could not get
key parts replaced on it because they were no longer available.  I am in
marketing and understand the problems a manufacturer faces when producing a
product and I think I am fair and tolerant.  Also, people make mistakes and
once in awhile a company hires a bad apple.  This should not reflect
totally on the entire company.  Personally, my experiences with Ten Tec
have been good ones and not so with Kenwood on more than one occasion. My
experiences with Icom and Yaseau have also been positive ones. In my
business, I have found I can not trust all customers either.  Some can be
dishonest or unreasonable and a company needs to protect itself against
these type people too.  If they didn't, they would rapidly go out of
business.  Because of this, many companies implement policies that are a
hardship on honest reasonable customers but this is the only way to protect
themselves against those that are less than fair.  It's just a fact of
life.  Also, economics dictates just how far a company can afford to go for
good customer relations.  Sometimes a company would like to do more than it
is financially capable of doing when ethecs is not an issue.  You can't
give $1000 worth of sevice not promissed when you make $500 profit.  I
think if any really dissatisfied customer has a really legitimate
grievance, most companies, if given the chance, will try and work something
out with their customer.  If you can't work something out and you feel
strongly about being treated unfairly, move up the ladder and talk to a
higher authority in that company.  Be civil, concise, and reasonable with
your facts in order.  Most people will treat you like they would want to be
treated.  After all, most managers realize they can't stay in business
without GOOD CUSTOMERS. Remember, they are not mind readers and it is your
resonsibility to get them to understand your problem, giving them facts,
without taking needless time explaining non pertinent information.
Lee Bahr
w0vt