TenTec

[TenTec] Re: Keeping a rig turned on continuously

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Keeping a rig turned on continuously
From: w4gd@bellsouth.net (John W. Morris)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:15:20 -0500

--------------EBE020A2D331344B3607554F

Roy, I wish you had sent this message about 2 months ago!

The exact same thing happened to my Omni VI back in November! I have no
idea how it keyed itself, but that is the only possible explanation for
my burned out PA section. I left the rig for the night (turned on) and
it was working fine. I returned the next morning and immediately smelled
the scent of burned electrical components. I tried the rig .... it would
receive as usual, but had no output on xmit whatsoever. Sent it to
Sevierville and they confirmed that various components in the PA were
fried.

The wx that night was perfect, i.e. no lightning strikes could have been
involved.

I turn it off now when I am finished!     73, John, W4GD

Roy Koeppe wrote:

>  A hint for those keeping the switch on and in CW mode. I relate a
> horror experience a friend had with his new, (a-hem!) FT-1000 several
> years ago. This could apply even to Ten-Tec if you tend to have a
> black cloud over your head as I do. Anyway, Dick kept it running
> continously and went out to mow the lawn. When he returned to the
> shack, he found the rig had keyed itself down full bore at 200 W for
> an extended period of time. This caused a full melt-down of the PA
> stage. Not nice. So, if you practice this custom, do turn down the
> power control to near zero when you leave the rig unattended. 73,
> Roy    K6XK

--------------EBE020A2D331344B3607554F

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
Roy, I wish you had sent this message about 2 months ago!

<P>The exact same thing happened to my Omni VI back in November! I have
no idea how it keyed itself, but that is the only possible explanation
for my burned out PA section. I left the rig for the night (turned on)
and it was working fine. I returned the next morning and immediately smelled
the scent of burned electrical components. I tried the rig .... it would
receive as usual, but had no output on xmit whatsoever. Sent it to Sevierville
and they confirmed that various components in the PA were fried.

<P>The wx that night was perfect, i.e. no lightning strikes could have
been involved.

<P>I turn it off now when I am finished!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 73, John,
W4GD
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Roy Koeppe wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>A hint
for those keeping the switch on and in CW mode. I relate a horror experience
a friend had with his new, (a-hem!) FT-1000 several years ago. This could
apply even to Ten-Tec if you tend to have a black cloud over your head
as I do.</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Anyway,
Dick kept it running continously and went out to mow the lawn. When he
returned to the shack, he found the rig had keyed itself down full bore
at 200 W for an extended period of time. This caused a full melt-down of
the PA stage. Not nice.</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT
SIZE=-1>So,
if you practice this custom, do <U>turn down the power control to near
zero</U> when you leave the rig unattended.</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT
COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>73,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Roy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; K6XK</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------EBE020A2D331344B3607554F--