TenTec

[TenTec] Omni VI plus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI plus
From: pinskeep@iglou.com (Peter Inskeep)
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:24:05 -0400
Jerry,
Your note, copied below, brings up an interesting point which I never paid
any attention to before.  I do know that my Delta 580 tune CW the opposite
way from (than???) my Omni VI Plus does.

With the Delta 580, when tuning from a lower frequency to a higher
frequency, I would first encounter a cw signal as a high pitched signal,
which decreased in pitch as I continued to tune up the band.  It tuned the
same way when the sideband switch was in the upper sideband position.  If I
flipped the switch to lower sideband, then the signal would go from a low
note to a high note as I tuned up the band.

The Omni VI Plus (mine was new in early 1997) tunes just the opposite in
cw.  As I tune up the band a cw signal appears first as a low pitch, and
then increases as I continue to tune up the band.  When I switch to lower
sideband, it sounds the same as on cw.  When I switch to upper sideband, it
sounds the opposite, i.e.., with the sig decreasing in pitch as I move up
the band.

However, best as I can tell (because there is not anything on 160, 80 and 10
that I can hear at the moment, all bands on my rig tune the same way on cw.
That is, I guess, on lower side band.  Perhaps there was a change in the way
they programmed the Omni VI Plus somewhere along the way.  I'll check again
tonight to see what happens on 80 and 160, but I suspect that they, too,
will be lower side band on cw.

I got a 1208 10 meter to 6 meter kit for xmas, but have not yet assembled
it.  Perhaps I will find it to be a problem when I do.

As an aside, in tuning through the bands to see how my cw sideband worked, I
am finding 12 meters to be hot, at least here in Kentucky.

Pete, NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY