TenTec

[TenTec] Omni VI plus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI plus
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E.)
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 22:47:43 -0500
I've been the multimode/multiband route. The performance leaves
something to be desired in both sensitivity and strong signal handling.
More than something. A lot. Between improperly terminated mixers causing
excess loss and poor dynamic range and the phase noise of multiple
synthesizers to cause mixing of noise and strong signals into the IF
band pass and things like shifting frequency without changing the dial
display I've concluded that the only way for really hearing is to go to
transverters made for dynamic range with an IF receiver made for dynamic
range. Since the Corsair II uses Ulrich Rohde's favorite circuits for
dynamic range, I conclude I can't build better.

A=B sets the dial frequency the same, but LSB CW and USB are opposites
to the carrier or the 800 Hz offset is from the top of the USB pass band
and still doesn't match. I don't think Tentec can get there without
major reprogramming. Nothing possible from the front panel.

73, Jerry, K0CQ