TenTec

[TenTec] CW Paddles

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW Paddles
From: vbbond@ix.netcom.com (vbbond@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:35:19 -0700
N1EU wrote:

> A few months back on the reflector, someone mentioned
> a paddle made of all brass and individually numbered.
> There was even a Web site where all the owners were
> registering.  I lost the original posting and the
> Website URL, and it's time to replace the wobbly
> Bencher paddle.  If someone could email me the info,
> I'd appreciate it.  Looking for a solid paddle with
> good action . . .

     I also use an aging Bencher and am anxious to excise myself of it
as I don't find it to be a comfortable paddle to use. I recently became
aware of a handmade paddle that has been touted as the successor to the
famous Mercury. I saw it pictured in a recent K4TWJ column (March, 1999)
in CQ Magazine. I'm referring to the individually numbered chrome-plated
Hensley paddle. It appears from the photos on Mr. Hensley's web site
(www.qsl.net/n9bor/hensley.htm) to be a labor of love and, although
pricey, I've ordered one. I hope to receive it late in September (it
takes 8-12 weeks to hand make each one).
    You might want to take a peek at it on the above referenced web site
and read the three reviews by current owners of the Hensley.
      You might also be interested in the W9WBL-made V22 paddle. I own
the VSL (Vertical Single Lever) model and have enjoyed using it for
years. You should be able to get his address etc from Buckmaster or
other QSL search engine.
     I'll report to the group my experiences with the Hensley after I
have a chance to play with it.
                                       Vince/K7NA