TenTec

[TenTec] Logging with Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Logging with Pegasus
From: w5yr@swbell.net (George T. Baker)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:36:28 -0500
Can't offer specific Pegasus experience, Ron, but from operating an Icom
IC-PCR1000 "computer" receiver, I have found that even with a modest
Windows 95 computer that multi-tasking is no problem.

I have run the receiver control program plus the Logger program with its
PSK31 module without difficulty on a Pentium 133 MHz laptop with only 32
meg RAM. I currently run Logger plus an almost unlimited number of
additional programs on a Pentium III 500 MHz machine with 128 meg RAM. I
treated myself to a 21" display on this new system so finding room for
"enough" windows is not much of a problem. But, it could be with a 15" or
smaller display. Even then, you can switch focus from one application to
the other and still get by. The problem is that most of the windows
involved cannot be resized in a pane format.

You might run into problems trying to operate with a 486 especially with
limited RAM, but I would expect any of the Pentium-class systems to
handle the Pegasus plus a couple of other programs handily, provided only
that enough RAM is available.

Generally, I find that operating a radio from the computer poses no
problems at all. I have a lot of years behind a screen and keyboard, so
it comes pretty natural to twist the "knobs" with a mouse cursor! But,
some people feel very disconnected from their radio not being able to
feel knobs and switches. You might want to try out a demonstrator if you
can find one. The radio being controlled - Pegasus or whatever - doesn't
matter. You just want to find out how you feel about mousing instead of
flipping!   ;^)

72/73, George        AMA 98452          R/C since 1964
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 54th year and it just keeps getting better!
AutoPOWER Systems, Fairview, TX (30 mi NE Dallas)  Collin County
QRP-L QRP-ARCI FISTS NORCAL ZOMBIE ARS 10-X  33.2 N 96.6 W EM13RE