TenTec

[TenTec] Re: TT vs 756PROII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TT vs 756PROII
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:56:00 -0600
Don't know about the PRO II, Steve.

But, I am getting confused here - nothing new!   <:}

When I hold down the dit paddle at almost any speed and look at the r-f
output envelope with a scope, I see almost perfectly equal dot and space
times. I have tried to catch the first few dots and have on occasion but
could not see any obvious shortening. I also watch the envelope of the
keying sidetone which precedes the output by a bit and it shows a constant
lag behind the r-f output.

I monitor with a little 20 Mhz Gold Star dual-trace scope. I will have to
fire up the Tek 465B and fiddle with the synch setup until I can
single-sweep those first few dots and see what is happening.

Now, the QST photo shows considerable shortening and also says that it
affects only the first two dots in Full Breakin and the first dot only in
Semi-Breakin.

Yet Rob, W8LX says that every code element in breakin is shortened by the
same 6 msec, regardless of character rate.

I need to do some lab work for my own satisfaction. If I learn anything
interesting, I'll pass it on. But as a practical matter as I posted before,
I notice zero problems with Full Break-In operation and I have never
received any report of light dots or shortened initial code elements.

72/73/oo, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6 SOC 262 COG 8 FPQRP 404 TEN-X 11771
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437

All outgoing email virus-checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2002