TenTec

[TenTec] Pegasus/Jupiter keying - In search of Perfect CW :-)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus/Jupiter keying - In search of Perfect CW :-)
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 19:45:16 -0500
> Agreed 100%.  With narrow filters, I notice no difference regardless
> of rise/fall time.  The filtering rounds the edges and extends the
> rise/fall time.  However, under MDS conditions, I almost always use as
> a wide of a filter as I can, notwithstanding QRM.  The wide filter
> provides the most readable copy on faster waveforms, due to the extra
> bandwidth if the transmitting stations is using faster rise/fall
> times.

I use the most selectivity possible (but almost never less than
200Hz) unless the signal is buried in rough noise. The reason is
S/N ratio is directly proportional to selectivity, and my brain has
less to sort out.

When digging out a signal in rough noise (like nearly steady static
crashes) I use a wider filter. In this case I agree making a CW
signal closer match the receiver bandwidth could help. We should
not design for this condition, because it would mean we would
make the life of others miserable a high percentage of time for a
very small percentage of benefit! After all, it isn't anyone else's fault
we have noise!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com