TenTec

[TenTec] Fw: Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: Orion
From: nq5t@attbi.com (nq5t@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Apr 3 21:58:59 2003
> If it has changed, I just lost all interest in an Orion.

Yes, Id say that not having "true" FSK is a good reason to walk away from what
is
probably the best radio in ham radio.  Makes sense to me -- so does AFSK.
Perhaps
keyed AFSK (to take your FSK key line and use it) will show up in a future
firmware
release.  Perhaps not.  It's kind of a "so what"  from my personal perspective.

> It also
> appears that there are no provisions for QSK keying of a QRO Brand
> Amplifier with QSK that requires a 9-12VDC signal from the exciter for
> optimal switching to prevent hot keying the amp.

Now that's really strange.  I've never owned a radio that provided a positive
going
+12 v signal to key an amp.  But maybe it's because I live in a cave.  Most key
lines
I've known and loved PULLED LOW to key.  Which is what the Orion does.  If you
really need a positive going keying voltage, a simple inverter would certainly
be a
better option than passing up the Orion.

The QSK keying loop in the Orion works perfectly with my AL-1200.  Full QSK
with
handshake for well timed (checked with a scope) ,  hot-less-keying.

> KenYaeCom's all provide this 12 VDC signal for QSK

MY kenyaecom-781 provided no such signal.  It provided a line which .. you
guessed
it ... pulled low.  Then again, perhaps you couldn't run an 781 with a QRO amp?

>Speaking of PC control, I
> The documentation in the Orion
> manual avoids the subject and that doesn't sit right either.

Patience

> It seems to me that most people receiving their Orions ...comprise
> ragchewers and casual operators who like to compare and play,

Personally, I pride myself on being a "non-professional" amateur.  I won't tell
you
what I think of the state of ham radio re signal quality, manners, and those
incessant,
unrelenting voice keyers I'm now forced to listen to when observing the
"professional"
hams in action.

My only regret about the Orion, is that it does not have a single -- no not
even one --
vacuum tube in it :-)

Grant (apologetically)