TenTec

[TenTec] Fw: Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: Orion
From: nq5t@attbi.com (nq5t@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Apr 4 00:06:00 2003
> FSK is my favorite mode, it doesn't have to be your's.

That's what is so great about the hobby.

> I won't pop for
> over $3K for a rig that doesn't do FSK,...

That's clearly an individual choice .. but from a non-RTTY/*TOR
fanatic's perpective, FSK is a control technique -- not a mode.  The
guy on the other end won't know and won't care whether your
mark/space line shifts a physical oscillator, keys a digital AFSK
generator inside the radio (common), or is accepting proper audio
tones from an AFSK-capable TNC or sound card.   They all result in
precisely the same transmitted signal.  That's my only point.  The
distinction is pretty fuzzy ...

> Burn is a
> tendency of monochrome displays, which really look dated to me today,
> but I don't buy rigs on looks alone.

The display is a solid state panel, not a CRT.  The display is
excellent, crisp, clean and meaningful.  Color would add nothing but
sales glitz and maybe make the owner feel superior.  Maybe if I'd
ever seen any of the current crop of radios that use color, use it  for
anything but good ad copy I'd look again.

There was a lot of whining about this many months ago.  I don't see
it as an issue since the display is as good as it is.

> For amp keying, a circuit,
> formerly a relay, pulling low is the norm for most except some QSK
> amps that work better at QSK when switched by the acc 12 VDC signal.

I tried to find some info on the QRO website about their keying
technique .. but couldn't.  I'm still confused, but since I'm not a
professional, it isn't surprising :-)

> No doubt that the TenTec technique of keying the amp to key the rig is
> probably best, but not all amp manufacturers have gone that route.

It is not necessary to use the TX EN line (keying loop) with the
Tentec, even with QSK.  When I initially had questions about
interfacing my AL-1200 to the Orion, I got several suggestions,
including the fact that single line (no handshake) keying would work
quite well in QSK.  I jchose to use the loop becasue it's there, but it
appears it isn't necessary (in many cases).  Might be worth talking
to QRO about it.  I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have a
good solution -- especially since so many Ten-Tec owners are CW
ops, and use QSK amps.

Grant