TenTec

[TenTec] Orion Voice Memories

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Voice Memories
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:26:04 +0000
I am currently at F/W rev 1.366 and having tried the voice memories, I am struggling.

This is what I find:-

Recording to a voice memory is erratic. Sometimes it records and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes in the recording process, things hang up and a reboot is necessary to clear the problem.

I successfully recorded my call as a voice message in Send 1. Today it is still there and sometimes if I press Send 1 it is sent. Sometimes the Orion switches to Tx and nothing is heard. Sometimes when the message is finished the Orion comes back to receive and I can hear noise but no signals. Again a reboot clears the condition.

This seems to be something of a mess. Is anyone else sharing any of these experiences or should I just go back to paddling my key? I haven't tried the message buffers on CW yet, as I use an external keyer.

Send1 and Send 2 memories appear to be fixed length at 4.54 seconds. If you have a longer message that's tough. If you have a shorter one, you're stuck on transmit until 4.54 seconds is up. Is this kind of fixed length memory useful to you guys? Shouldn't there at least be a message end control, so you can return to Rx when your message has ended rather than having to wait?

I've never been much of a phone man, so perhaps this is all down to operator incompetence and I should leave well alone!

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F