TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 564

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 564
From: WA4VEC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:37:54 -0400 (EDT)
My guess is that these are two separate problems.  I have a 563 that  has
been exhibiting the first problem for several months and I suspect a  leaky
electrolytic(s) on the IF/AF board.  I notice that the longer the  radio has
been off, the longer the time it takes the audio to return which I  believe
corresponds to the time it take the capacitor(s) to reform.   So far the
delay has not been enough to cause me to dig into the board so I  cannot be
positive as to the cause.

The second problem is probably reed relay K1 on the low pass filter board
which follows transmitter keying.  If it sticks closed it will  probably
kill most of the received signal.  I had a 580 with the same  problem that I
fixed by replacing the reed relay.  It should be  available from Ten-Tec and
not too expensive either.

Walt

In a message dated 3/20/2012 3:17:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
elespe@lisco.com writes:

Radio is  "new" to me and so far a nice performer

Two glitches I observe:
(1)  Sometimes, more often than not, when I turn on power the S meter is
active  indicating signals but the audio is mute for some delay, varies
from
fraction of second to seconds
(2) During a recent ssb QSO the receive  would not always come back to
level
it was before transmitting. Keying the  PTT will bring it back.

Any suggestions or "yeah it does that" always  appreciated

Paul K0UYA