TenTec

[TenTec] Comments: TT QRP monobanders

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Comments: TT QRP monobanders
From: n0sbm@moonworks.com (Alan Bryant)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 20:12:22 -0600
At 01:13 PM 10/3/99 -0700, you wrote:

>I would appreciate comments on the TT QRP monobanders,
>or should I buy a Scout for a first HF radio?

Another option (not to take away from Ten-Tec's new production models)
would be to consider something older, such as the Triton IV (Model 540).
They don't have the newer bands, just the old standards 80/40/20/15/10, but
if you enjoy CW at all, the Triton in particular would be an outstanding
choice for a number of reasons. But even for SSB, it's just a sweet little
unit. Still serviced by our friends at Ten-Tec, too.

You see them changing hands here from time to time. I acquired mine by
throwing out a message right here in the mailing list, received several
replies with a range of options and prices, made a pick, and closed the
deal for right around $300, including the 262M matching power supply.
Couldn't be happier with it. Of course, I used to own one back when they
were still sold new (never should have let go of it) and fell in love back
then. Buying this one was like meeting-up with my high school sweetheart
after all these years.  :-)

Matched with an MFJ multi-band "radial-less" vertical (which also doesn't
have the newer bands), I have a set-up that was remarkably cost-effective.
I have a total of just a few hundred bucks into my station.

A vertical is arguably not the best choice, especially as low as I have
mine, but it gets the job done. When someone hears me, it's usually S6 or
S7 or so, not bad, with occasional stronger signal reports, running full
power. Like I said, the vertical is a compromise. But it all sure hears
nicely...

Anyway, whatever you choose, use it and enjoy it. Just presenting another
option...

73,
Alan

---