TenTec

[TenTec] Re: G5RV

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: G5RV
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:45:04 -0400
At 01:34 PM 10/22/2002 -0400, Wa4aos@aol.com wrote:
>  Most G5RV's that I have listened to have only fair performance.
>I was not very impressed with the antenna until A friend who does lots of
>antenna testing did the following changes to the G5RV and now the antenna
>works MUCH BETTER  ! ! !
>On 20 meters, WOW !!! 2
>S units over a 20 meter dipole anywhere I have used it.

The original antenna by Varney, G5RV, was designed as a
20 meter antenna.   This is where it really is a "balanced"
antenna with his recommended lengths of twin line and
coax.   All other band usage was an afterthought  with
its attendant "hot" coax and requiring a transmatch.

Always fun to "rediscover" these things, however.

w8au