TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Jupiter For Scout Camp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter For Scout Camp
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 07:07:08 -0500
ad9t_tentec@burnshome.org wrote:

Will a Kenwood MC-50 Microphone work well with the Jupiter? We have two of
these, and they are very nice microphones. The MC050 is a dynamic
microphone, and can be wired for both low and high Z connections.

can't help there - I used the 706 desk mike and the 700 hand mike with good success. The hand mike might not be a bad option - it's $30, it's got very excellent audio quality, it's tough and durable and it's nice to "hold" a mike.

Should we get the internal antenna tuner?

Absolutely.

We have a 20 A linear power supply. I know that some of the older Ten-Tec
rigs needed a special power supply or circuit breaker for SWR protection.
Will our power supply be OK?

I've seen Jupiters used on field day transmitting 100W without an antenna connected - no failure. The PA is tough.

Does anyone think I should chouse another radio?

An Omni would be a nice choice - some complain that the Omni's display cannot be read when bright sun hits the display panel, however I don't think this would be an issue for the Jupiter at all. The Jupiter has a large display with tall numbers for the current frequency.

The top of the Jupiter case is large enough to put a number of adhesive USA flags, property of badges, etc. Hopefully the kids will understand the value of an American made product - Scouting teaches American heritage, y'know - hi

btw, the kenwood speakers might work ok however the speaker in the Jupiter is really pretty good. I've never used any of the TenTec external speakers so can't comment on them.

Hope this helps and God bless.

73 Jason N1SU