TenTec

Re: [TenTec] N4PY Orion Control Program Version 1.12 Released

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] N4PY Orion Control Program Version 1.12 Released
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:07:07 -0500
Jerome, I've observed this same problem with the O(rion control software. It's sometimes difficult to fine tune a station because one tends to overtune or overshoot the signal. Carl has said that it's because of the speed bewteen the radio and the computer serial port. I recently upgraded from a 450 MHz to a 2.2 GHz machine and there was little, if any, improvement, suggesting that Carl's assessment is probably accurate.

73, Joe

jerome schatten wrote:

Hmmm... sounds like a computer rather than the control software problem. I've used the Pegasus software on four different computers from a P100 up to a P4/3gig machine and never noticed that kind of a lag.

I have noticed, using Task Manager, that large frequency excursions tend to be the most cpu resource intensive -- sometimes up to 80% for a split second, but I never could correlate that with a visible/audible lag. It's interesting that HRD behaves exactly the same with a large change in vfo frequency.

I would bet that a 486 might show the kind of behaviour you describe.

Best,
Jerome - VA7VV
----- Original Message ----- From: "Vince Santis" <vsantis@earthlink.net>