TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Noise canceling headphones

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise canceling headphones
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:17:39 -1000

hought about noise canceling headphones like the Heil Quiet Phone. Does anyone have experience with these or others on fan noise when working CW? There are only a few reviews on eHam.

I am using Koss QZ/99 phones and am very happy with them. I think I bought them from AES. They are comfortable and sound good. They are NOT noise cancelling headphones. They just cover the ears completely and keep out noise better than most. Previously I was using Heil BM-10, which I also really like, however they are lightweight, not ear covering. I orginally got the Koss QZ/99 because my XYL complained that the BM-10 would not stay on her ears. This is more of a problem with longer hair, as hair between the headphone pads and the ears tends to make them slip off of the ears. Headphones that surround the ear stay on much better. Once I got the Koss QZ/99 I found that I like them better both because they stay on better and they block out noise better. This keeps the Titan 425 fan noise out of my ears nicely. I cannot say whether they work better to keep external noise out of the ears better than active electronic noise cancelling heaphones, however they cost a lot less and work great for me.

DE N6KB