TenTec

[TenTec] Omni VI no TX

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI no TX
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:25:04 -1000
I experienced a problem with my Omni VI today. After having it turned off for a few hours (which is rare in my shack) with the antenna feedline disconnected at both ends, I turned it back on and proceeded to check the antenna system. Noise from the receiver indicated that the antenna was properly reconnected, so I went to the next step; checking the SWR. When I keyed the PTT button on the microphone (virtually the only useful function the microphone has for me) I heard sidetone, yet had no indication of any TX RF output. Checking all knobs and buttons, I found nothing in the wrong position. When I checked the PA Collector Current (I c) it was near 20 Amperes, either unkeyed or keyed. I turned off the Power switch immediately, fearing parasitic oscillations in the PA might be frying it. When I turned the power back on all worked as normal. Anyone else see this happen with an Omni VI?

DE N6KB