TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Fw: OMNI SIX PLUS problem with carrier on SSB

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fw: OMNI SIX PLUS problem with carrier on SSB
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:08:44 -1000
Hi Bob,

I have an Omni VI, not a Plus version. I'm pretty sure there is very
little difference in their respective balanced modulators. The manual
for it does not give a procedure for adjusting R3 and R4. Although it
does state that these are the pots to adjust  for carrier null. What you
want is minimum carrier output when in either USB or LSB. There are
various ways of detecting the carrier. A separate receiver, an
oscilloscope, etcetera. It should not really matter what kind of filter
you are using, carrier null is minimum carrier output. If you do have a
wider filter, or have your BFO frequency set so that it is closer to the
filter bandpass, then there will be less attenuation of carrier from the
filter and more residual carrier will get through. Still the adjustment
is made the same way and you should be able to get the carrier down to
an acceptable level. Then when you have a really strong signal at a
fellow ham's station, he will still probably be able to hear some
residual carrier. You said he heard your carrier at S1, and you did not
say what signal strength he heard your modulation. My Omni VI book says
carrier supression is typically 60 dB. If your fellow ham heard your
modulation at 36 dB over S9, then your rig was meeting that specification.

DE N6KB