TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Rig changes

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rig changes
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:04:54 -0800
Ben K8DIT wrote:

>It seems to me that your description of the reason you didnt like the
>transceiver weren't as you first reasoned. Its kinda quirky that detractors
>of the Jupiter don't like it for one special reason all their own and
>emphasize that point and seem to summarize  the Jupiter as inferior.
>
>I'd like to point out that a ICE 400 filter's design frequency starts at
>1Mhz, and while that will take care of any AM BC above that point, the
>offending spike may be below that i.e. 550-1000khz where many local stations
>potentially could still overload the front end. I dont know if Im belaboring
>the obvious here, and dont mean to be anything but helpful. The 402 might
>just solve it.
>
>I have only had exceptional performance from my Jupiter rig and hope others
>do as well. There is no hardware NB, and I treat that control as I would any
>other. If it helps it stays on-off if it doesnt.
>The LCD screen is what it is, and the computer interface (Pegasus emulation)
>is the alternative.
>
>I really like the Ten Tec stock mics. Ive used others. I get my best reports
>using either the hand or desk mic. on blind /casual tests. I use a Vibroplex
>Brass Racer w/keyer built in the base and think that's as nice as I've used.
>Ive tried alot of others, but not the real expensive models. I've got no
>beef with the built in keyer, just happen to like the one in the Racer. I
>use an RCA cordless headphone that allows me freedom from the vicinity of
>the rig to get coffee, pet the dogs or run down the hall.
>
>I also fixed up an isolation transformer for the audio and find the heathkit
>HS 1661 to be wonderful for both SSB and CW. I dont operate digital modes
>and only occasionally AM.
>I recently acquired the 302 remote knob and find it a wonderful adjunct to
>tuning when it suits me to use it.

If you are referring to me in your reply then I guess you didn't care to
read what I wrote. The Jupiter did NOT perform in my environment. The
noise blanker is a non-negotiable for me. The Jupiter's has no impact
here. Added on top of that were many things that I found dissappointing
in general but that I actually expected for a rig of that price and
there were aspects that I liked. But when it was all over I miss the
loss of my Omni-C far more as it is simply a better receiver/transmitter
in most ways. Strip away the computer interface from the Jupiter and you
don't have a superior transceiver.... just a good one that will serve
most hams well... and isn't that enough? Please don't fall back on the
easy argument that if someone disagrees they must be a 'detractor'
without reason. The original question of this tread was one of asking
opinions. I gave mine. You gave yours. I suspect that they are equally
valid considering our own personal experience.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT