TenTec

Re: [TenTec] repairs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] repairs
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:21:02 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2006 8:58:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
w2wg@comcast.net writes:

I had  recently questioned whether the Omni or similar rigs had a design
problem  if they needed to be protected by an Airpax breaker.  One of  the
Airpax advocates responded that the issue was not oscillation but  the
ability of the rigs to put out full power into a mismatch causing a  quick
thermal failure due to inadequate heat-sinking.  To me that  sounded like a
questionable explanation, but again a misdesign problem if  true.  But these
failures do indeed sound like oscillation  problems.  Strange indeed.  My
condolences.  It is a painful  experience to have to ship a rig out for
repair.
73
Bob  W2WG

I have an Airpax on my orion and it is also into a rig runner fused
distribution panel.  twice the breaker has tripped and not once has the  fuse (
25
amp) blown.  both times I had the antenna switches in the wrong  position and
keyed down with no antenna, and the airpax tripped. so I'm glad its  in line.

Your mileage may vary, but it keeps me from destroying my own gear.. and
that is a good thing ( to plagiarize  Martha)

tom N6AJR