TenTec

[TenTec] Should I buy an Orion now or wait?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Should I buy an Orion now or wait?
From: Harry Reed <doon@infoscientific.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:55:20 -0700
Hi, All.

    As I am new to this reflector, if this has already been discussed
please forgive me. If I step on some toes, please forgive me and please
bear with me.

    I am contemplating the purchase of an Orion in the near future. My
question for all you TT and Orion fans is should I purchase one now or
wait? I ask this because ...

    1) the DragonBall processor used by the Orion has been EOL'd
(discontinued) by Freescale/Motorola. Does this imply that TT will be
upgrading the Orion to another processor when their supply of
DragonBall's runs out? or does it mean that an Orion+ or Orion II is on
the horizon?

    2) From what I've read about Orion it has the potential of being a
truly awesome rig, but given the somewhat unstable nature of it's
firmware etc. can it truly live up to it's potential in it's present
incarnation? or will a hardware upgrade(s) be necessary to fix all of
the little nits?

    Also, how has TT done things in the past with previous models? I
gather that the Omni series went through several upgrades/incarnations.
How did TT deal with their existing Omni customers? Given that TT's
supply of DragonBalls has to be finite when they do refit the Orion with
a new processor(s) is TT likely to retrofit existing Orions with the new
chips(s) for a suitable fee or just tell existing customers, "Sorry,
just buy our new 'Orion 2 double-plus good' rig and all of your problems
will be solved?" While I've heard great things about TT support I
contacted TT with similar concerns and got the standard marketing
dribble about they are not at liberty to discuss this sort of thing.
<Sigh> To be fair to TT, I suppose their response was reasonable from a
sales/marketing standpoint as my questions were rather pointed.
Unfortunately, TT did nothing to reassure me that the Orion is a worthy
rig to spend ~$4000 on either!

I really *want* to purchase an Orion, but the question is "when" - now
or later?

What say ye?

Cheers & 73's
Harry Reed, AB7YF

Harry W. Reed                       | Never ascribe to malice that which can
doon@infoscientific.com             | adequately be explained by stupidity.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons
 than  under  omnipotent  moral busybodies,  The robber baron's  cruelty may
 sometimes sleep,  his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who
 torment us for own good  will torment us  without end,  for they do so with
 the approval of their own conscience."    -   C.S. Lewis, _God in the Dock_
"Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders than the arguments
of its opponents." -- Sir William Penn